The secret is out!
Popular Ancient Grains:
- Amaranth — Used by the Aztecs more than 8000 years ago, this tiny grain has plenty of benefits like a higher protein content than most other grains. It is also an excellent source of iron and magnesium and is gluten free.
Use it to make bread, polenta and as a side dish. Its nutty flavor adds a little extra something to everything.
- Flax Seed — This small, oval-shaped seed provides several benefits. A two tablespoon serving contains about 3g of protein and is a good source of fiber. Add to cereal, smoothies, salads, soups or even a sandwich. For best nutrient absorption, opt for the ground form over the whole seed.
- Chia — A key food for the Aztecs and Mayans, these tiny black seeds are high in fiber and one tablespoon contains 2g of Omega-3 fatty acids. Sprinkle on top of yogurt or cereal, mix into your muffins or pancakes — the options are endless! Did you know that “chia” is the Mayan word for strength?
- Turmeric — Native to Indonesia and southern India, this spice comes from the root of Curcuma longa plant. Its warm and peppery flavor is a key ingredient in curry and also makes yellow mustard yellow.
- Ginger — With a fragrant punch and spice, ginger adds zest to almost any dish, especially stir-fries and baked treats. It is actually a root, known as a rhizome, that grows underground in tropical climates.
- Chiles — Chile is the fruit of a plant. It is often dried to preserve its heat and life span. We carry dried chipotle chiles, dried ancho mulato chiles, dried guajillo and dried pasilla negro chiles! Experiment and try them all!
Find these and a lot more when you shop Bulk at Market District — it’s a barrel of fun!