Chinese New Year Shrimp & Pork Pot Stickers
Compliments of Chef Crystal Baldwin
Ingredients for Dumpling Skins:
- 2-¼ cups bread flour, sifted
- 6 fl. oz. boiling water
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce:
- 1-½ tsp. sambal olek chili sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
Ingredients for Filling:
- ½ lb. raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ½ cup green onions, cut into 2-inch sections
- ½ cup canned bamboo shoots
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- ¼ cup water
- Start with the dumpling skins. In a bowl, slowly add water to the flour and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
- As soon as it is cool enough to handle, knead dough on a floured board into a soft, elastic dough.
- Wrap with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and set aside to rest for about an hour.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a rope 1-inch in diameter.
- Cut these into segments of about 1/2-inch thick, flatten with the palm, then roll out on a lightly floured board into a disk approximately 3 to 3-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Keep all dough and rolled skins covered to prevent drying.
- In a food processor, add shrimp, green onions, bamboo shoots and pulse several times until shrimp is minced. In a large bowl, combine shrimp mixture with ground pork, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger, sherry and garlic. Mix well.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of filling onto dumpling skin.
- Brush a bit of water around the edge of the dumpling skin. Fold over and press to secure edges. Make sure edges are sealed tightly.
- Shape the dumplings so that they have a flat bottom. Continue with the remaining dumpling skins.
- Heat a large nonstick pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the dumplings, flat side down and not touching, in batches to the pan.
- Let fry for 1 minute until the bottoms are light golden brown. Pour 1/4 cup of water into the pan and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Turn heat to medium and let the dumplings steam for 3 minutes. Open lid and let the remaining liquid cook off about 1 minute.
- Remove to plate, wipe the pan clean with paper towels and repeat with remaining dumplings.
- For the Dipping Sauce, simply mix all ingredients together and serve with pot stickers.
Nutritional Information (Per pot sticker with sauce):
Calories 60, Fat 2g, Sat. Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g, Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.