Thursday, April 22 is Earth Day, and using natural cleaning products is a great way to begin lessening your impact on the environment. Make your own—it’s easy—since you probably already have everything you need: vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda are a great start. Or, buy ready-to-clean eco-products in our store!
Super Easy (and Super Affordable) Make-It Cleaners
- All-Purpose Kitchen Surface Cleaner — Mix one-part vinegar to one-part water in a spray bottle. Use it on counters, your stove and glass. Apply with old newspapers for a streak-free shine.
- All-Natural Dish Scrubber — Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle one side with baking soda and use to scrub dishes or your kitchen sink. Have extra grimy dishes? Squeeze an extra teaspoon of lemon juice into your dishwasher to cut grease. Bonus: everything smells fresh and lemony when you’re through!
- Natural Deodorizer — Baking soda is the key ingredient here, because of its indigenous deodorizing characteristics and its naturally abrasive texture. Everyone knows an open box works to remove odors from your refrigerator, but try it as a replacement for chlorine cleansers to loosen tough baked-on residue. It’s pretty darn good!
- Furniture Polish — Mix one cup of olive oil and a half-cup of lemon juice in a non-spray bottle. Apply with a micro-fiber towel, rub polish in and then wipe surface clean with the clean side of your towel.
- Stain Remover for Plasticware — Have white or clear plastic containers stained with tomato sauce? Try rubbing with lemon juice and drying in the sun; then wash as normal.
Available Ready-to-Clean Eco-Friendly Products
Method — There’s Good Inside!
Featuring formulas made with biodegradable ingredients derived from soy, coconut and palm oils, and packaging made from 70-100% recyclable materials (the wipes are compostable), Method also offsets CO2 emissions from employee commute with carbon credits, and purchases energy for their sites with renewable energy credits. Plus, their products are vegan friendly and cruelty free! Look for these Method must-haves:
- Free + Clear Natural Dish Liquid — Available in Clementine, Lemon Mint, Lime + Sea Salt & Sea Minerals
- All-Purpose Cleaner — Available in Lime & Sea Salt, Antibacterial Citron & Bamboo
Seventh Generation — Nurturing the Health of Future Generations
For the past 30 years, Seventh Generation has been committed to being the most trusted brand of household and personal care products for your home, producing only products that are safe and effective for the air, surfaces, fabrics, pets and people. Their unique laundry and hand dishwashing detergents contain plant-derived cleaning agents and enzymes to effectively lift and remove tough stains and cut grease, while remaining a non-toxic, hypoallergenic, biodegradable alternative to conventional, petroleum-based cleaning products. Their laundry detergents are also designed to work great in cold water so they are not only easy on your skin and the earth, they help you save on heating costs. We carry Seventh Generation laundry detergents, dishwasher gel & packs, dish liquid, bath tissue, paper towels and more!
Mrs. Meyer's — Rooted In Goodness
Mrs. Meyer's is a collection of household products inspired by flowers and herbs that smell delightful, but really pack a punch against daily dirt and grime. Their products are made with plant-derived ingredients, essential oils and other thoughtfully formulated ingredients to both work hard against dirt and grime and be absolutely delightful to use. Look for Mrs. Meyer's liquid laundry detergent, dryer sheets, multi-cleaner and dish liquid in lovely lavender, and lemon and verbena scents!