Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
By Chef Crystal Baldwin
Prep Time: 2.5 hrs.
Cook Time: 40-50 min.
Directions for Chef Crystal's Pizza Dough:
- In a bowl, stir to combine warm water, yeast and honey.
- In a larger bowl, combine flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture, cold water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix until a ball is formed.
- Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for several minutes until dough is smooth. Allow dough to rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place dough in bowl that has been brushed with the remaining olive oil. Allow dough to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, divide into 2 balls, let rise another 30 minutes. (Or, if you want to use the dough tomorrow, place in the refrigerator overnight, cover and bring to room temperature before using. NOTE: Dough can also be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, frozen, thawed and used for up to 3 months.)
- Preheat oven to 500°F with a pizza stone on the middle rack.
- Form a 12-inch pizza crust and place on a pizza peel or parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Top crust with your favorite sauce and toppings and place pizza in oven on stone.
- Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Directions for Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Press the pizza dough evenly into a 10-¼ inch cast iron skillet going up the sides to the top.
- Layer Mozzarella on top of the dough. Break up sausage and place on top of cheese. Then, layer pepperoni on top of the sausage.
- Crush tomatoes with a fork (leaving any basil leaves in the tomatoes). Spread the crushed tomatoes over the pepperoni and sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until hot, bubbly and golden brown. (If the pizza starts to brown too much, cover loosely with foil).
Note: Press the dough up the sides of the pan as each layer is added. The pizza dough will hold its shape as more filling is placed inside.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.