Valentine Red Velvet Lava Cupcakes
By Chef Janice Kirich
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 6-ct., 4 oz. muffin tin with cooking spray, dust with sugar to cover cups. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and vegetable oil in a double boiler, 5-7 minutes; or, place in a microwave-proof bowl and heat for 1 minute, then heat by 30 second increments until smooth.
- Let cool slightly. Whisk in flour and salt.
- In a second bowl, beat whole eggs and eggs yolks together, then slowly add to chocolate mixture. Stir in 1 tsp. of the red food coloring; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and remaining teaspoon of red food coloring. Spoon the filling in a pastry bag; set aside.
- Using a heaping ¼-cup scoop, divide the cake mixture into the 6 muffins. Fill each muffin center with about 1-½ Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake until the edges are firm but the centers are not set, 9-11 minutes. Cool for 2-3 minutes, invert and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.*
*To make ahead, bake for 8 minutes, invert and rewarm in the microwave for 1 minute. Dust with powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information (Per serving):
Calories 440, Fat 35g, Sat. Fat 13g, Trans Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 140mg, Sodium 125mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g, Fiber 4g, Sugars 21g, Protein 7g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.