By Executive Pastry Chef Andrea Schrenk
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- Pulse nut mixture ingredients in food processor until finely ground, but not a paste.
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Cool at room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove phyllo dough from box and cover with a slightly damp towel to prevent drying.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly brush one piece of dough with melted butter and sprinkle approx. 4 Tbsp. of nut mixture over top of dough.
- Push dough together (widthwise) working flat on work surface to create an accordion. Carefully pick up and place on tray. Dough length should match tray size; trim dough to fit.
- Repeat process with dough to fill tray, laying pleated dough pieces side by side in pan.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until just golden brown.
- Remove lemon and cinnamon stick from syrup. Carefully pour cooled syrup over baked dough in tray, making sure to evenly distribute. Move tray from side to side to absorb syrup.
- Allow to cool uncovered at room temperature.
- Cut into individual pieces. May be served in small pastry papers or right out of the pan — just saying!
Nutritional Information (Per serving):
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.