Dolmades (Grape Leaves)
By Chef Crystal Baldwin
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and sauté for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of stock and the currants; cook, stirring frequently, until the rice has absorbed the stock (the rice should be very firm).
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mint, parsley and tomatoes. Season again with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a large baking dish with 7 of the grape leaves.
- Place a grape leaf rib-side up on a flat surface. Place 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture near the bottom. Fold the bottom up over the rice filling and then fold each side in and over to cover the rice. Roll the leaf over the filling to make a tight roll. Place the roll into the grape-leaf lined dish, seam side down. Continue making dolmades until you have 32, packing them tightly into the baking dish so the rolls stay together.
- Combine remaining 4 cups stock and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Pour hot stock over dolmades.
- Cover dolmades with remaining 7 grape leaves. Place another smaller baking dish or heat-proof plate inside the pan to hold the dolmades firmly in place. Place the baking dish in the oven and cook until the leaves are tender and filling is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, drain off any stock and discard. Refrigerate until cold. Serve with Tzatziki.
Nutritional Information (Per 1-roll serving):
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.