By Chef Crystal Baldwin
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, honey, oil and egg.
- Fold the dry ingredients, corn, peppers and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a nonstick 9x5x3-inch bread pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 20-25 minutes.
A Note on Xanthan Gum
Often used in gluten-free recipes to mimic the properties of gluten, xanthan gum is produced through the fermentation of carbohydrates dried and ground into a fine powder. The resulting substance has thickening and binding properties when added to water or other liquids. If you add a little to recipes using gluten-free flour, you can nearly replicate some of the stretching and structural characteristics of gluten. But first, check the ingredients on the side of the package. Some gluten-free flours and baking mixes already contain xanthan gum. If not, the general recommendation is ¼ to 1 teaspoon per cup of flour used.
Nutritional Information (Per serving):
Calories 250, Fat 8g, Sat. Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 500mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 8g, Protein 9g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 20%, Iron 8%
Nutritional values are based on data from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.